With ski season right around the corner, perhaps your family is looking forward to some fun on the slopes during winter vacation. As you’re planning your trip, it’s important to remember that it is also time to be thinking about how you can protect your kids’ skin and eyes from UV exposure and injuries during fun family ski vacations. UV rays can be eight times more powerful on ski slopes where snow reflects nearly 80 percent of the sun’s rays.
Making sure your family’s eye are protect while skiing is one of the best things you can do for your children’s eyes. Sunlight can damage the retina and lens of the eye, increasing the risk for cataracts, cancer of the eyelids and surrounding skin, and possibly age-related macular degeneration, warns Well, a blog from the New York Times. Furthermore, forgoing eye protection will make your eyes tear causing your vision to blur, and you could even suffer a serious injury if a twig or branch hits your eyes as it drops through the trees, advises REI.
To avoid UV damage or injury to the eyes, everyone should wear a pair of sunglasses or ski goggles while on the slopes. To make sure you find the best pair for your needs, Look After Your Eyes recommends purchasing protective eyewear with the following qualities:
- Choose goggles or wrap-style sunglasses specifically designed for winter sports.
- Find a pair with lenses that absorb at least 95 percent of UV rays, although 99 to 100 percent absorption is ideal.
- Ensure the eyewear meets safety standards.
- Look for the darkest lenses possible.
- Make sure the eyewear fits your child comfortably and is the right size.
To further protect your family from the dangers of UV rays on winter ski trips, the Skin Cancer Foundation taking the following precautions:
- Use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, even on cloudy days. Apply the sunscreen to all exposed skin and reapply every two hours or after heavy sweating.
- Carry a lip balm with an SPF of 15 or higher.
- Whenever possible, ski before 10 AM and after 4 PM to avoid being out on the slopes when the sunlight is most intense.
At Real Kids Shades, you can find wrap-style sunglasses that offer 100 percent UV protection and feature polycarbonate lenses for your children’s eye safety. These styles are great for kids that love to ski or play other outdoor sports! Visit our website to check out our selections and to make a purchase or find a retailer near you.