Opthalmologist, Optometrist or Optician?

Posted on 1 Comment

When it comes to your family’s eye health  it can get confusing to know which specialist to visit for what. Who doesn’t hesitate before they distinguish between going to the Ophthalmologist or the Optometrist? Here is the low down on who is who.

  • Ophthalmologists are certified medical doctors who specialize in eye and vision care. They are trained and licensed to meet all you eye care needs including prescribing glasses, eye surgery and identify eye diseases.
  • Pediatric Ophthalmologists have additional special training to treat children and their specific eye care needs.
  • Optometrists provide services that may be similar to ophthalmologists, but they don’t perform surgery. An Optometrist is not a medical doctor but a Doctor but a Doctor of Optometry who have completed a program through a college of Optometry.
  • Opticians fit and adjust eyeglasses.

If you have questions regarding which type of doctor to visit for your eye care needs ask you medical doctor for a recommendation.


1 thought on “Opthalmologist, Optometrist or Optician?

  1. It sounds like an ophthalmologist would be able to help you with pretty much any issue with your eyes. I don’t like having to go to a lot of different doctors for similar things, so that sounds like a good option. If I ever have an eye problem, I should look for an ophthalmologist so if I need glasses or something as well, I could just go see them again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *