Last updated on March 17th, 2020 at 04:45 am
November is National Healthy Skin Month, which, as Anne Arundel Dermatology explains, is all about celebrating healthy skin and overcoming or learning to live with any skin conditions your family may have.
During the winter, people who suffer from dry skin are particularly susceptible to skin problems due to indoor heating and cold winds. However, with proper care, skin can be kept healthy. Even family members who do not suffer from skin conditions should take care of their skin today to prevent future issues ranging from wrinkles to skin cancer. This is easier than you might think and only involves using a few products.
Here are some tips for parents to help their families achieve healthier skin:
- Use soap sparingly when bathing, Kenneth Ellner, MD, of Kaiser Permanente advises. Washing the body removes natural oils and can make the skin dry. Use a milder, less drying soap if you are prone to dry skin.
- Kidz World recommends using the right cleanser for your skin type. Cleansing is one of the most important aspects of a skin care routine, as it removes dirt, pollutants, and oil making it easier for other products, such as sunscreen, to penetrate the skin. Oily skin requires an oil-free cleanser, while those prone to acne should seek a product containing ingredients like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide.
- Sunscreen should be applied at least 30 minutes before heading outdoors, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Sunscreen should be at least SPF 15 and provide both UVA and UVB protection.
- Kids Health advises washing your hands and body with warm water. Avoid damaging your skin by washing with water at a comfortable temperature, never too hot.
- Stay hydrated, Discovery Fit & Health advises . Drink at least half a gallon of water every day to keep skin hydrated, healthy, and smooth.
Do you have healthy skin care tips to share? Leave a comment below to tell us how you keep your family’s skin healthy.
In addition to keeping skin healthy, it is important to pay attention to eye health, which includes using proper UV protection. Check out Real Kids Shades’ products to keep your children’s eyes safe from the sun.