Many pieces of sports equipment are considered essential for keeping kids safe. Helmets help prevent head injuries in football, for instance, and shin guards lessen the impact of an accidental cleat to the leg in soccer. Eyewear, however, is often not included in lists of items needed for fall sports, but it is an absolute necessity and a reason for which September has been named Sports Eye Injury Prevention Awareness Month.
Every year, around 40,000 eye injuries are caused by sports and recreational activities; 90 percent of which could have been prevented with eye protection, according to Essilor USA. Even playing non-contact sports like tennis, badminton, racquetball, and others that involve fast flying objects, and even the racquets themselves can pose a danger and can result in injuries to the eye and face. In other sports, where players are in close contact, such as baseball and swimming, injuries are often caused by fingers and elbows.
Prescription glasses, standard sunglasses, and occupational safety glasses do not always provide adequate protection for sports, as Star Pupils warns. When choosing eye protection for your children for their fall activities, keep these tips from All About Vision in mind.
- If you child uses prescription glasses, choose protective eyewear that can be fitted with prescription lenses.
- Eyewear must be fitted with lenses and tested for sports use.
- Polycarbonate lenses are the most impact resistant and feature built-in UV protection. Choose eyewear that has scratch-resistant coating on both the front and back of the lenses to ensure durability.
- Choose eyewear that has shatter-proof frames and lenses.
- Make sure the eyewear fits comfortably. Goggles, in particular, need to fit your child exactly. It is not worth the risk to choose a pair that is too big in order to allow for room to grow.
At Real Kids Shades, we care about children’s eye safety, which is why we offer several options of protective sunglasses that are perfect for kids on the go and playing fall sports. Throughout the month of September, you can use the coupon code rksback2school at the checkout to receive a 20 percent discount.
Also, don’t forget that the 30 Days of Real Kids Shades giveaway will be continuing until the end of the month. Enter now for your chance to win a pair of sunglasses.