Last updated on March 14th, 2020 at 10:31 am
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a serious condition that currently affects 10 million people in the United States alone. The disease attacks the macula of the eye, the point where precise vision forms, and, although this rarely leads to complete blindness, can cause significant central vision loss. The best way to prevent AMD is to take action now: by eating plenty of foods rich in eye-healthy nutrients and by protecting your eyes with sunglasses.
AMD and Nutrients
To fight AMD and other sight-threatening conditions, VSP recommends including these nutrients in your family’s diet:
- Beta-carotene. Turns into vitamin A in the body. Found in dark green, orange, and yellow vegetables.
- Lutein. Present in dark green leafy vegetables, including spinach, kale, and collard greens.
- Vitamin C. Gain this nutrient from citrus fruits and blackcurrants.
- Vitamin E. Add to your diet through nuts and oily fish, such as salmon and tuna.
- Zinc. Find it in eggs, whole grains, and meats like beef, pork, and lamb.
Sunglasses for AMD Protection
If sunglasses are to protect eyes from AMD, they need to block 100 percent of UVA and UVB rays. Here are just a few to choose from for your kids:
- Explorer. For ages 0+, 2+, and 4+, these shades are perfect for young wearers as they come with an adjustable band to keep the sunglasses secure to the face and feature Flex-Fit technology, which allows frames to bend in any direction before bouncing back into place.
- Blade. For Tween (10+), these stylish shades, with their polycarbonate lenses and frames, are ideal for all types of sports.
- Surf. Available for both the 4+ and 7+ age groups, this iconic style is ideal for young kids who like the combination of a fashionable look with fun, bright colors.
- Bolt Polarized. For Youth (7+), these shades feature P2 Lens Technology, which polarizes the polycarbonate lenses to reduce glare by 99 percent, providing a higher degree of optical comfort.
Find all these shades and more in the Real Kids collection. Make sure your kids wear their sunglasses everyday to protect against degenerative eye diseases like AMD.