All parents of young children often dread the thought of being out with their little one and having to make an unexpected stop for diapers or a new outfit because they forgot to prepare for the inevitable spit-up incident or other accidents. Too many will tell you they’ve learned the hard way that a well-stocked diaper bag is a must, even if you are just running a quick errand. With a little preparation and guidance, though, you can ensure that your diaper bag is packed with everything you might possibly need while out and about with your baby. It just takes a little help and advice from other parenting pros!
Below is a checklist with pointers compiled from Parents Magazine and The Bump. The next time you plan on a trip out with your tot, be sure to pack these items before you’re out the door!
- Pack more than enough diapers to ensure you don’t run short. Although it might seem excessive, include one for every hour or two of your outing.
- If your diaper bag doesn’t come with a foldaway changing pad, make sure to purchase one right away. Other changing equipment you will need includes diaper rash cream, plastic bags, and baby wipes, essential not just for cleaning your baby, but also your hands and the changing pad.
- A couple of burp cloths are very useful for cleaning up while burping, spit-up, and other messes.
- Include one or two changes of clothes, such as an extra sweater, shirt, pants, and socks for the baby and an extra shirt or jacket for yourself in the event of an extra-messy incident.
- Protect your baby from damaging UV rays with a sun hat and sunglasses. Babies over six months can also use sunblock if necessary, although it is better to keep all babies out of direct sunlight.
- Bottles and formula are obviously essential for young babies, but you can lighten the load by keeping the formula in powdered form in a bottle ready to mix with tap or bottled water at your destination.
- Always carry a toy or comfort object, such as a blanket, to keep your baby calm and happy.
Do you have tips to help other parents make sure their diaper bags are equipped with all the necessary items? Please share your own tips in the comments section below!
Real Kids Shades’ Sun Hat Combo Pack, complete with wide brimmed hat to protect your child’s entire face and 100 percent UVA/UVB polycarbonate sunglasses, is available for purchase online. Sun Hat Combo Packs come in pink and blue and are suitable for girls and boys ranging in age from 0 to 24 months.
*Don’t forget, there are still a few days left to take advantage of our coupon code to save 20% on online purchases. Just enter RKSBACK2SCHOOL at check out! The code is good through the end of the month.